Invented in the late 1990s, HVLS fans are a relatively new technology, but they’re already revolutionizing indoor climate control in large buildings. From their humble beginnings as barn fans, HVLS fans today are widely embraced for their efficiency, cost savings and superior performance by virtually every industry that utilizes large buildings.
While HVLS fans are often referred to as industrial fans, they are not limited to warehouses and factories. Increasing numbers of brick-and-mortar retailers are discovering the benefits of HVLS fans for their establishments. Let’s take a look at how and why HVLS fans work for retail buildings.
What Are HVLS Fans?
HVLS stands for high volume, low speed. In contrast to traditional fans which spin at a high speed and generate a focused current of air, HVLS fans are designed to move very large masses of air slowly and steadily through a big space. This helps improve air quality and regulate temperatures in three ways:
- It distributes air evenly throughout the space for more efficient and effective temperature regulation
- It creates an evaporative cooling effect to make warm air feel up to 10 degrees cooler
- It efficiently and effectively ventilates the entire space
Another attribute that sets HVLS fans apart from traditional fans is their large size, ranging from 7 to 24 feet in diameter. For this reason, they usually are installed as ceiling fans although some models, such as our TAZ fan, may also be used as aisle fans. These large overhead fans work quietly, unobtrusively and cost-effectively to benefit your retail space in a number of ways.
5 Reasons to Install HVLS Fans in Your Retail Facility
- Reduced utility bills — HVLS fans cost far less to run than traditional high speed fans and enable you to significantly reduce air conditioning expenses. Go Fan Yourself fans can be run in reverse for cold-weather savings, too. They also can be used together and/or integrated with your building performance system for even more savings.
- Improved comfort and productivity — Running an HVLS fan helps keep air in your retail space clear, clean and healthy, while maintaining it at a consistently comfortable temperature throughout. Comfortable conditions mean more productive employees, according to many studies, and researchers think improved comfort is likely to boost retail sales as well.
- Aesthetic appeal — With a large HVLS fan running quietly overhead, you won’t have to worry about ugly extension cords, noisy fan blades or distracting breezes. Our fans have a sleek appeal that blends well with various styles of commercial décor and are available in many different colors to complement your brand.
- Low maintenance — Once installed, a Go Fan Yourself HVLS fan is virtually maintenance-free, with a 20,000-hour inspection interval. That means operating costs stay low, as does downtime.
- Low cost of acquisition — Compared to expanding your HVAC system, installing one or more large HVLS fans in your facility is a budget-friendly option that can quickly pay for itself in improved productivity and decreased energy costs.
If you are looking for an affordable solution to comfort and ventilation issues in your retail store, restaurant, showroom or mall, a large HVLS fan might be the solution you need. With the energy savings and performance-enhancing comfort HVLS fans provide, why not consider giving one a spin?
To learn more about HVLS fan solutions for retail applications, call us at 844-874-3833 or contact us here today.